Thursday, May 26, 2016

Running for Two...the first trimester

I'll warn you now.  I'm that lucky bit*h who had no morning sickness, no crazy cravings, and no terrible food aversions.  The only weird symptom I had was fatigue and from time to time I would feel a little lightheaded.

So, I pretty much felt like myself, but sleepier.  Not too bad.  

As far as running, the first month, you don't even know you're pregnant.  So that was fairly normal.  Just before I took the pregnancy test though, I did notice my splits on my speed workout were 10-20 seconds slower than I felt like they should be.  This was just before Thanksgiving, so between all of the holiday travelling and being a little extra sleepy, my runs started to feel harder.  

During this time, I really focused on just getting SOME kind of exercise in.  Unless I needed a nap... then I just napped.

Total weight gain: 5 lbs - Doctor had me at 0 lbs because i gained that weight in the first 8 weeks...oops.

Belly: was not visible to the naked eye.  I knew it was there, I was "thicker" but nothing crazy.

Running clothes: I could still wear whatever I wanted.  I stayed pretty comfortable in my normal running clothes til about 14 or 15 weeks.  My boobs were killing me though...had to get a better sports bra.  I like Oiselle's Bra-Zen.

Running: long runs stayed at about 10 mi, I was preparing for a 1/2 marathon at 14/15 weeks.  My daily running routine didn't change much (except for sometimes just needing a nap).  I typically ran 5 miles, did cross training when I could.  A lot of this was over the holidays when I usually cut back on running anyway due to family time and an excess of food.  I also cut out a lot of speedwork, but that probably wasn't necessary, I just didn't feel like doing it.

Overall, first trimester running is just listening to your body, if it still feels good, keep doing it.  After you ask your doctor of course...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment